Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Import Quicken data

Is there a way to import Quicken data as I have over 20 years of data I don't want to loose.

Comments

• Hi,

I know that some users took quicken data, exported that into Excel and then applied multiple cleanup routines to make it match what portfolio slicer requires. I know that for example you will have to change names of transactions types, sign for some numbers (quicken I believe uses negative quantities for sales, PS uses positive numbers), etc.
    Sorry, but there are no automated ways to impart data from Quicken into PS.
  • edited February 2017
    I also have two decades of Quicken data, and with the new quicken subscription policy and loss of control over my data, I stumbled on portfolio slicer.

I had to make the decision to start from 2012-12-31 when creating my transactions. As Vidas mentioned, I was able to export 4 years of Quicken data, and then clean up the data and rearrange everything into the portfolio slicer format. Then I ran a find and replace to correct all the transaction titles. It took a while, but much less time than entering everything from scratch.

I also had to create manual quotes for symbols that no longer exist. Luckily, quicken had all this data in the symbol history . Unfortunately, it is a manual and time consuming process, but well worth the effort.

I was able to verify all the data by matching balances to the statements. In the end, once complete, you will be thankful you did it. Consider it a project and do it slowly in chunks. You will now be the owner of your data without the risk of being held hostage to a software program (aside from excel).

This will replace quicken for me at some point. I will continue to use quicken for banking updates and will manually update quotes when my downloading ability expires. For now, both together are a great combo.
  • Hi botschild, curious how your transition from Quicken to Portfolio slicer is going/has gone. Have you moved over to Porfolio slicer completely, or are you still using both?
  • I've gone the full "Manual entry route" to enter all my quicken entries .... a great learning learning process, as in "Why did my past portfolio advisors follow that process or investment philosophy? ". A bit painful at times, but I have no regrets doing it. I've also set up cash accounts for my normal bank accounts ..... It's real cool to be able to turn on or turn off various accounts with the slicer buttons, and see the effects on the Big picture of my financial situation.