Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yahoo API Dead? GoogleWeb Working?

Hello,

I started using PS back in September to track my portfolio and it is a very impressive tool. Originally I set up PSconfig to pull the quotes from YaHoo. This was working fine until Nov 1st and now it is broken. I also cannot directly download stock quotes from the YaHoo website, so I assume Yahoo has removed this functionality.

No big deal I thought, I will just change data sources in PS. I modified my PSconfig, and without knowing any different, I moved everything to GoogelWeb and then I renamed the GoogleWeb names back to the same names as YaHoo. The quotes are updating from GoogleWeb and my PS workbook seems to be updating fine.

While I was reading documents on the PS website, I came across one that said GoogleWeb was no longer working. Now I am wondering why it is working for me, or if it is likely to stop working sometime soon. Any thoughts or comments on this? Should I change my data source again to Alpha Vantage?

Thanks to the developers and custom script designers, this is such a great tool. My only wish is that I could get a fully functional PowerBI account so that I could automate PowerBI. Perhaps someday MS will remove their restrictions.

Dan

Comments

• Hi,

So Google stopped providing quotes that are older than 1yr, so if you already downloaded old quotes before and now just updating quotes, google works. Google announced that they will stop supporting their financial data feeds, but it is not very clear when. It might be many years from now, it could be tonight.
    Historic Yahoo quotes works without problem, it is just that yesterday they stopped providing intraday data. It is not very clear if intraday data feeds were permanently removed, or if it is just a temporary glitch. It is best to wait at least a week to understand what is Yahoo doing. But historic feeds work OK and if now you will run scripts to get quotes, you should get yesterdays quotes - but please check.
    I am using PowerBI and it is awsame. Even without PowerBI account, you can download PowerBI Desktop application and data refresh on PowerBI for Desktop is much faster - <10sec.
  • Thanks for your response. It helps explain a lot. My data is all less than a year old. I sold all my mutual funds in August and started building my own stock and ETF portfolio in Sept. PS only contains transactions after 9/1.

I had scheduled UpdatePSData for 20 minutes after the markets close but it appears that is not going to work as that must still be considered intraday. Do you by chance know what time the previous days Yahoo data becomes Historical?

I updated the data this morning using Yahoo, and it does indeed show yesterdays closing values.

I am using PowerBi as you describe, and yes, it is so much faster than refreshing in excel.

Thanks again.
  • From my experience, Yahoo provides after-market prices after 8pm. Sometimes it is later 11pm or 8am next morning.