Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Circular dependency

Hello, very excited to try Portfolio Slicer, but having difficulty with error. Having read previous posts I have reinstalled from scratch then only put in one transaction this second time, being a very simple cash deposit, but still got the same error.

A circular dependency was detected: 'Trans'[CostBasisimpactRpt3],'Trans'[CostBasisimpactRpt3],'Trans'[CBBuyToDateRpt3],'Trans'[CBCycleNo],'Trans'[CostBasisimpactRpt3].

I'm using excel 2016.

Comments

• Kero,

In most cases this will happen when you will attempt to sell shares of company you do not have or selling more than you have. Please double check dates for your transactions. If all looks good, could you please send me your excel file and content of psdata folder and I will investigate. My email is posted on this page:
    http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html
  • Hi Kero,

THanks for sending me your worksheet.
    I see few issues:
    1. You config table (src worksheet cells A3:E4) has extra row added (check table end corner symbol in cell E5). It is not even easy to remove that row, so the best if you start with new worksheet, but make sure that you do not add extra row after you change values in this table. If by accidend you add new row, just press CTRL+Z.
    2. Table srcTrans you changed Price in the first record that says in commet "Do not delete, DO NOT DELETE. Adjust Date and Portfolio". Please leave that record as is BUT CHANGE JUST ACCOUNT AND DATE. DO NOT CHANGE ANY OTHER FIELDS. THis records tells PowerPivot model types of each field and if you change price, you put integer value, not decimal value that was there before and that would cause issues.

If you will make these changes and start slowly adding transactions - it will work!
  • These tips worked! Thank you for taking the time to look at the files.
  • Hi Vidas, I have been working through adding my transactions into the 2016 excel worksheet. I have a number of bank accounts and up until today I have been able to work through issues.

However today I am now coming across the same error message that "kero" had per his original post.

If you don't mind I will send you through my files. Are you able to see what the issue is. I have entered transactions into a new spreadsheet. You will see 52 transactions. Up until transaction 48 there have not been any issues.

With transaction 49 onward, I get the error message as per "kero" post. I have changed data but it still seems to occur.

It all seems very strange. If you are willing to have a look I would be grateful
  • Hi CNH,

You have an issue that I have not seen before. For the last set of transactions for "* Cash" you have not specified Qty value. Please put for these transactions Qty value as 1 and you will be good to go.
    Note - please consider also incorporating "PowerBI Desktop" in your Portfolio Slicer usage. You still enter all transactions in Portfolio Slicer Excel workbook, but instead of refreshing Excel workbook, you would save Excel workbook and then refresh PowerBI Desktop. PowerBI Desktop will refresh much much faster than Excel workbook - will take less about 10sec or less for refresh, so you will see transaction impact much faster. After you entered all transactions, switch back to refreshing Excel workbook, or use both.
  • Hi Vidas,

Thank you that has worked :)

I will take on your suggestion about refreshing in PowerBI - certainly appears to be much more effective.

I haven't been looking at my PowerBI side since originally coming on board about a week ago. On refreshing today I have an issue in looking at "Original" Currency view. I will post my problem on that subForum.

Again thank you for your great support