Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Account not displaying in Dashboard or any other sheet

I upgraded from V1.02 to V2.2. Everything seemed to go fine. In the Account Table I have an Account named Schwab and a Portfolio named Schwab, similar to what I had in V1.02.

After migration, when I look at Dashboard in V2.2 the only accounts available are AccountCAD and AccountUSD and the only portfolio available is Family.

I have refreshed all data several times, no effect. The account and portfolio named Schwab is marked active in the V2.2 SRC tab.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• 1. As v2.2 was released just 2 days ago, please make sure that your migration generated psConfig.txt is from yesterday or today. Previous psConfig.txt generated by migration script was for version 2.1. You will know if you psConfig.txt is correct when you have DecimalSeparator parameter specified in file.
    2. If list of your accounts is not refreshed to your values, that means no data was refreshed. Usually this happened because data model could not load some data for any reason. Did you get any error messages during refresh? Can you please confirm that first record in Symbol table was not replaced and first record in Trans table was left as is except for Account and Date values?

• Thanks for the quick reply. Below is what is in the psConfig.txt file wrt DecimalSeparator

# DecimalSeparator: Default value is . (dot)

I did not get an error during refresh. The srctrans tab has all transactions.

The first record in the srcsymbol table is * Cash and i did not change it

The first record in Trans table was left as is, execpt i change the account and date
  • Could you please remove most of the transactions - leave like 4-5 and try to refresh.
    If still experiencing issues, could you please send me your worksheet, psConfig.txt and 4 external data files. My email - http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html
  • I removed all but 4 transactions. Still not working. I will send requested files to email above. I am not sure what you mean by "4 external data files", i'm sending the 4 files from the C:\PortfolioSlicer\PSData folder. if you mean something else, let me know and i will send them.
  • Thanks for sending me your files.
    I believe I found reason why you cannot refresh:
    1. Allocation table (worksheet src) has one row with Cash and then 4 empty rows that belong to this table. Please select these 4 empty rows S5:T8, right mouse click and choose Delete->Table Rows.
    2. Table Symbol (worksheet srcSymbol) has extra column added to table (column K). Column name is "Column1". Move values with 0 from that column to column K, then select cells K1: K18, right mouse click and Delete->Table Columns.

After that you should be able to refresh without any problems.

If after that you have any problems, please send me updated worksheet, I'll look into this more.

• Thanks. Your edits worked. One question, v2.2 does not appear to calculate / handle dividends the same way v1.02 did.

The v2.2 does not list any dividends for my portfolio, whereas v1.02 listed all dividend distributions back to the min date.

In srcTrans, I list all dividends as "buys" which is what i did in v1.02. Do I need to mark those transactions as "DRIP" to have v2.2 account for dividends in a similar manner to v1.02?

thanks for your quick replies
  • Hi,

More info on how to track dividends is here.
    I do not believe there are any changes in how dividends are tracked between v1.x and v2.2, so I am surprised you see difference.
    Normally for reinvested dividends I always have 2 transactions:
    First transaction with type DivTA that specify how much money was received and second transaction BuyTA that specifies how much was reinvested. I use 2 transactions because not 100% of money are reinvested - as my bank buys just full shares. You could use DRIP to record dividends normally for mutual funds that can buy partial shares.
    I am surprised that you were using "Buy" to record dividends - this should not work.

If you want me to look into this further, you can send me old Excel workbook (for your own privacy you can leave just transactions for one symbol) and then new workbook, so I could investigate why there is difference. Just please give me details so I could look into exact problems, like what symbol, what date.

• I will use the DRIP qualifier to annotate dividends in V2.2, my brokerage allows for partial share purchase. I was also surprised that dividends were accounted for in v1.02 the way i was doing it, but since it seemed to work, I did not change what i was doing. I will send you my v1.02 file and you can look at it if you are interested, but i think i will change over to "DRIP" for v2.2.

Again, thanks for the great support
  • edited April 2016
    Hi,

Thanks for sending me your old workbook. I see what happened.
    In old V1.02 version you used "generated dividends" - that is you were getting information about dividends received from our database. Then you were entering buy transactions to do "DRIP" - that is reinvest dividend money into the same stock. So that is why your old version looked OK.
    In new version, your dividend file (dividends.csv) is empty. So for you to get exactly the same behavior, you just need to enable dividend generation. You can do that by editing your psConfig.txt file "Yahoo" parameters.
    So for example in Yahoo parameter you have line for symbol like this:
    WPC

Format for this line could be: Symbol,MinDate,MaxDate,IntraDayFlag[Y|N],[DividendFlag[Y|N],FactorHistory,FactorIntraDay,FactorDividend

So you just change that line to:
    WPC,,,,Y

Then re-run your data exctract. You can open dividends.csv file - you will now see data in there.
    Then refresh your workbook and you will have same behavior as in previous version.

One more note - your list of symbols in "Yahoo" parameter does not include Market indexes, so please add 1 more symbol (based on your configuration):
    ^GSPC
  • Thanks, that seemed to work, although for one symbol, CORR, the dividends are way to high. Will i have to periodically run the data extract to update dividends in the future?
  • I think i see what is happening with CORR. In the dividends.csv file, there are dividends listed for CORR starting on 2008-02-19. That date is prior to me owning CORR (May 2014) and also prior to CORR's existence (Jan 2013).

I tried deleting rows of dividends prior to May 2014 in the dividends.csv file, that did not work.

Any suggestions to have CORR only calculate dividends from May 2014?
  • In psConfig.txt you can specify MinDate from when you want to get quotes and dividends.
    Again for each symbol you can specify:
    Symbol,MinDate,MaxDate,IntraDayFlag[Y|N],[DividendFlag[Y|N],FactorHistory,FactorIntraDay,FactorDividend

so
    CORR,2014-05-01

would get quotes and dividends just starting from that day.
    Before that you should be deleting CORR files from Quotes and Dividends folders, so files:
    \Dividends\_CORR_.txt
    \Quotes\_CORR_.txt
    \Quotes\_CORR__Archive.txt

But really there is something else, as dividends should be generated just for days when you have symbol. You can check that in "DivGen" Worksheet - select there "CORR" and see what dividends where generated for you. If something looks not right, please review your transactions - when CORR has first buy transaction.

You asked: "Will i have to periodically run the data extract to update dividends in the future? "
    Answer: You will run this data extract script every time you want to get new quotes and new dividend payment information. So most likely daily. I would suggest that you schedule you data extracts.
  • Okay, i see what is going on. CORR had a 1 for 5 split, I went from 845 shares down to 169 in Dec 2015. I did this split as a sell and buy, i didn't know how to do it as a split. That worked in v1.02, as v1.02 calculated dividends on the smaller number of shares after the split (sell/buy) transaction.

In v2.2, PS is using the higher share amount (845) to calculate all dividends, even though on the holding page it shows I have 211 shares, which is the correct amount, there have been purchases since the split.
  • For split you can record it few days later if that works better for dividends - there should not be big impact.
    For split you would enter transaction like:
    MyAccount 2015-12-31 Split CORR and with qty=-676.
    So when you add 845+(-676)=169
  • Ok, I was mistaken, v2.2 is using the right share quantity for dividend calculations, it is using the wrong dividend amount.

For example, dividend on 11/10/2015 is listed in PS on DivGen tab as $0.75/share, this date is pre-split. The dividend amount on that day was actually $0.15/share or 0.75/5.

I manually edited the _CORR_.txt file in the dividend directory and corrected the dividend amount for each date. I then refreshed all. That did not work.

I manually edited the dividend.csv file and refreshed all. That gave me an error, something about rowset incorrect.

In V1.02 the correct dividend amount was used, does v2.2 using a different database to find dividend amounts?