Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Error in Linked Table "Trans"

Hi Vidas,

First - Beautiful tool.
Before I make suggestion I would play with it more. I see you respond quickly and help others.
I hope you can help

Having an issue with getting my linked table "TRANS" to update. All linked tables are successful and allow updates. All 4 external files get uploaded and update the linked table area in Power Pivot.
It is asking for this to help but it is symbol and looks like link is lost.

for the data to be shown on the dashboard and monthly we need to have it on the linked table before it properly updates the reports. I cannot find this issue in the forum and would like to know if you have come across this before and have a simple fix.

Here are the steps I have done.
Removed all transactions but the CASH first line.
Update Failed.

I can start over and cut and paste but it hangs when I come to update the trans table. Attempt 3 times and same result. Is there an order that the data model is expecting the data to be loaded ? Should the transactions be done first then the to the symbol if new can be found later and cause less issues.

Still playing before I invest time to enter all my real data.

Thanks,
Gaetano

Comments

• In most cases this happens when you update first line incorrectly. In the first "System" record you can change just date and account and MUST LEAVE all other fields untouched. These values are used to tell PowerPivot what type of data (text, integer or decimal) they should expect.
    Second possibility is that Transaction Date format is not recognized as Date.
    So if you can:
    - if possible, re-download Excel workbook from website and start updating again.
    - if you still have an issue, send me your Excel workbook. My email is posted on this page: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html
  • Hi Vidas,

You are the man! Yes, that was it. Have the system records for each account first is the KEY. But just in case, I made sure that the transactions are sorted and to make sure that it was FIFO. So moving from one Mutual Fund to another, I did the transfer OUT first then a Transfer In to make sure the sequence is correct and the cash balance matched. The next thing to fix are the charts, they disappeared. I will open a new thread if I do not see the fix in the forum.

Thanks,
    G
  • Each chart has related table, usually hidden on the cells on far right out of the view. Each chart has default filter for time that could have been reset. So if there is a filter for any Pivot Table - you must must set it to "Yes" value: