Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cost Basis tracking per account holder

Hi, I'm new to PortfolioSlicer and have a comment/suggestion about how ACB is tracked.

From what I've seen in my usage so far, Cost Basis is tracked per security, per account, and not per account holder. But if I'm not mistaken a taxpayer has a single ACB for a security, not one per account in which that security is held. Not counting registered accounts which are exempt.

So my question is, is there a way to aggregate ACB's for the same security held in separate accounts? And if not is this something for consideration in a future release?

Comments

• Hi,

You are right, ACB is done by account, not by the account holder and right now there is no easy way to track it per account holder. Normally you would need this info once per year - when filing taxes. My suggestion would be: once a year when you need it, make a copy of Excel workbook and then in that copy Excel workbook in srcTrans worksheet do global replacement (CNTRL+H) for Account column values - to make sure that account holder has same account names. After refresh, you would see numbers as they are per account holder. Would this workaround work for you?
  • Thanks, Vidas. That trick will work okay for me. I will mainly use it to double-check my own ACB calculations so it's not imperative that they're always immediately available.

It would be great to see a more permanent solution though, in some future release. In addition to annual tax preparation, ACB is also useful year-round to identify tax-loss harvesting opportunities. And to safeguard against accidental triggering of gains when selling a position held in more than one account.

Cheers,
    Brad