Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cannot change connections in Portfolio Slicer for Power BI Desktop model

First off, I am a novice in PowerBI and just came across Portfolio Slicer. It looks like it will meet my needs and hence, I am investigating the use of this tool.

I have followed the instructions and downloaded the v2.3 (2016-Apr-30): Portfolio Slicer for Power BI (user version). Then I followed the instructions to try and change connections in Portfolio Slicer for Power BI Desktop model. The instructions indicated that I should be opening a .xls file. However, there isn't any .xls in the zip file I downloaded. Hence, I point it to the .pbix file I have instead.

This following is the error message I get -

DataFormat.Error: The Microsoft Access database engine cannot open or write to the file ''. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view and write its data.
Details:
PortfolioSlicerV2.3.pbix

I have no other applications using this .pbix file and as far as I can tell, MS Access is not in use by any other applications on my Win 10 Home edition.

Any help will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
KLZ

Comments

• Hi KLZ,

To use Portfolio Slicer you must download and setup .xlsx file - this is where all information about your investments will be. After you have done that, you can use Portfolio Slicer for Power BI to see your results outside of Excel - in Power BI for Desktop and Power BI for Mobile.
    So I believe you just missed first step - setup Portfolio Slicer Excel workbook.
  • Thank you for the prompt reply. I had mistakenly thought that if I used the PoweBI version, I have no need to download and use the Excel Workbook!

I am good now and gotten beyond my problems!