Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to track "Asset allocation EFT" (ex: VGRO, VEQT, etc.)

Hi Folks,

Is there a way to specific the allocation split of "asset allocation ETF", like VEQT for example. The ETF is a wrapper of the following:
Vanguard US Total Market Index ETF 39.4%
Vanguard FTSE Canada All Cap Index ETF 30.1%
Vanguard FTSE Developed All Cap ex North America Index ETF 23.2%
Vanguard FTSE Emerging Markets All Cap Index ETF 7.3%

Lets use round numbers for simplicity:
US 40%
Canada: 30%
Euro: 22.5%
Emerging: 7.5%

How should i enter the allocation in portfolioslicer Srcsymbol ?

Comments

• Hi,

Such ETF split is not currently supported in PortfolioSlicer, as currently each symbol can belown just to one allocation.
  • Thanks for the reply Vidas ! Is this something that could realistically be added to PS or would a change like this break the whole thing?

I am thinking of adding some asset allocation ETF to my portfolio and would like to be able to track the proper asset allocation with the the others plain old ETF’s that I already hold.
  • I have been using the SymbolSector table for this purpose. For instance, I have some BTG103 that is 70% Canadian equity, 16% US equity, 13% international equity and about 1% cash. I have four rows in SymbolSector for BTG103 to account for this. This seems to show what I need on the Sectors chart on the Overview tab.

I have to recheck the fund's allocation occasionally and update SymbolSector. I only do this when I am rebalancing.

I settled on this approach since I was using Allocation to track my portfolio according to the three buckets approach.
  • Interesting approach GreigH but i would prefer not to loose the sector allocation tracking chart.
  • Quick followup, i decided against using "Asset allocation EFT", the primary reason is the tax optimization across multiple accounts, the second reason is the lack of support in Portfolioslicer :)
  • Great decision! For a noob investor who wants a simple low-cost investment strategy, the one ETF solution is the absolute best.
    But for anybody who wants a custom classification other than their default offerings, individual stocks, ETFs, is the way to go. All of us in this forum using a specialized portfolio manager fall in that category.
  • What is the simplest way to run a Symbol Group Report?
  • Kamalchhabra - copy existing Allocation report to the same worksheet, then remove allocation from rows area and add Symbol group. THen you can add additional measures that you want.
  • With the v3.0 release, it is now possible to use the tool to track asset allocation ETFs!
    I'll use the simple example of the symbol VBAL.TO:

Assuming the allocation listed in the "Allocation" tab are Fixed, USA, Canada, EAFE, and Emerging.
    Then you can list VBAL.TO in Symbol and do the sector allocation per the fund facts as follows:
    Financials 18.5 %
    Technology 18.5 %
    Consumer Discretionary 13.2 %
    Industrials 12.5 %
    Health Care 9.0 %
    Basic Materials 6.6 %
    Energy 5.9 %
    Consumer Staples 5.0 %
    Utilities 3.9 %
    Telecommunications 3.8 %
    Real Estate 3.1 %

In "SymbolAllocation" tab list assign as follows