Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Excel workbook not updating

I recently migrated from 0.9.0 (2013) to 2.1 (2016). The initial update went well, and the workbook populated the charts and graphs up to April1, 2016. However, I don't see any updates to the data after that date. From what I can tell, the scripts run correctly. There are no obvious errors in the log files, and the .csv files in the PSData folder are up to date. But, when I run "Refresh All" from Excel, it works for a few minutes, but afterwards nothing has changed. In the "Daily" tab, there are no dates showing after 2016-04-01. What should I do?

Comments

• Hi,

Are you using Excel 2010 or Excel 2013?
    Steps:
    1. Please confirm that in psConfig.txt file you did not specify MaxDate parameter for your symbols.
    2. Open file Quotes.csv that was generated for you. For one symbol make sure that there are records up to latest business date.
    3. If you have multiple currencies open file CurrencyConv.csv and make sure that there are records up to latest business date.
    4. Open file Dates.csv and confirm that last date is last business date.
    5. If Excel 2010 (and Excel 2013 if you have full PowerPivot support), open PowerPivot window and check table "Dates" - is it up to latest business date? Check "QuotesExists" column for that table - values should be "Yes" for all dates that have quotes. Is that the case for last few business days?
    6. If Excel 2010 (and Excel 2013 if you have full PowerPivot support), open PowerPivot window and check table "Quotes" - is it up to latest business date? Check "QuotesExists" column for that table - values should be "Yes" for all dates that have quotes. Is that the case for last few business days?
    7. If Excel 2013/2016 - have you changed connections to do fast refresh as described here: http://portfolioslicer.com/docs/excel2013-refresh-data.html#fast-refresh. Please double check that tables "Dates", "Quotes" are included in "Refresh All".

If all looks good with above checks, is it possible for you to send me your workbook and psConfig.txt file? My contact: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html

• I am using Excel 2016, 32-bit.
    1. I do not have any MaxDate set for any symbols in my psConfig.
    2. CurrencyConv.csv does not appear to update properly. The current date shows an exchange rate of "1" with both currencies listed as N/A instead of CAD and USD. Today this is followed by a second row with the current date with a reasonable exchange rate.
    3. Quotes.csv has quotes with today's date.
    4. Dates.csv includes today's date.
    5. I do not have PowerPivot support, so I am unable to check the Dates and Quotes tables.
    6. I had not made any changes do to a fast refresh. I checked all the data connections and saw that Report, TransType, and XIRR were excluded from RefreshAll, so I tried including them. This did not correct the problem.
    I will send you a copy of my workbook and psConfig.txt.
  • It turns out that I had a problem with my psConfig file. After running the UpdatePSData script the first time, I changed the to be "..\PSData\". The scripts happily output the data to that folder. However, I didn't realize that the Excel file was still looking in "C:\PortfolioSlicer\PSData" to update the data set. Since valid data was present, no error messages were generated when I refreshed the data.

Also, I do not have the PowerPivot add-in, so I am unable to change the path for Excel to look for these data files.

Changing the back to "C:\PortfolioSlicer\PSData" corrected this problem for me.