Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alias Display

Fantastic bit of code, Vidas. Thank you.

I'm wondering if it is possible for the various tables and graphs to show the symbolAlias rather than the symbol. The symbols that I use for mutual funds downloads are long (eg, MUTF_CA:MAW104), while the root symbol is much shorter (MAW104). I kown I can use the alias to enter transactions (which I have done successfully), but I'm wondering if it is possible to do something so that the various displays to use the alias as well.

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Hi Schooner,

There is no way for you to display alias, but you can achieve the same by:
    1. For each symbol populate shorter name (alias) in SymbolGroup3 column. It is very important that you would populate unique name for each symbol in this column, otherwise all symbols with same SymbolGroup3 then will be aggregated in your report.
    2. In the report where you want to see shorter name you will need to use SymbolGroup3 column instead of Symbol column. All results should be exactly the same. Some reports might have filters or set order based on Symbol. When you will add SymbolGroup3 instead of symbol, you will need just reapply the same filter/sort order. But this is very easily done if you know basic Excel Pivot table functionality.

Regards,

Note: I suggested to use SymbolGroup3 field instead of SymbolGroup1 because in the next release I will be using SymbolGroup1 to identify if symbol is Index or actual investment, so it is safer for you to use SymbolGroup3.
  • Thanks for the hint. I'm quite proficient in Excel, but new to Pivot Tables so this will be a good learning experience!