Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Historical quotes and handling of stock splits

Hi,

Perhaps this questions has already been asked but I couldn't find it back easily.
When retrieving quote data (thanks btw for that nifty script Maxim T), those that had a stock split in the past are causing me headaches to get fixed within the portfolio slicer report. Let me perhaps explain through an example:

Apple did a stock split in June 2014 of 7:1. I had Apple in position before that date but not anymore after the stock split.
When getting the quotes from Yahoo source (until they stopped the service) it delivered the correct historical evolution and not a restated one taking into account the stock split. Thus no adjustments needed to be done to my positions (as the split was done at a later date) and the historical quotes corresponded to my quantity held which i can easily reconcille with actual position statements from my broker.
When switching to the Google source it gives me the restated quotes which causes my historical reporting to be wrong and make weird jumps.

Now i see several ways to fix this:
- Restate the quantity to correspond again correctly with historical quotes
- Manipulate the quotes (e.g. by making a before split dummy and feed it with manual data that doesn't need to update)

However both solutions I do not really like and I usually only detect a problem when my historical performance overview is making strange shifts.
Is there a better way to deal with this? Is there a possibility to controle better which historical quotes are retrieved (actual ones or the restated ones)?

Thanks for your feedback

Comments

• If you already had Apple historic quotes, you did not have to delete related files from your Quotes subfolder - Yahoo or Google extract has the same format, so there is no problems switching between them. So if you copy back Yahoo quotes file for Apple and then move AAPL in psConfig.txt from Yahoo to Google area - it will work without any problems.

If you deleted that old file, then you have to manually adjust quotes before split. I would open and edit that file in Excel, just make sure that format after saving edited file is exactly the same.

And thanks for pointing to this problem with Google quotes - their historical prices reflect current shares, so if there was a split, then you will need to adjust these prices manually.