Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

v2.02 -> v2.3 problem (can't refresh table 'CurrencyConv')

Hi Vidas,

I'm following the steps to upgrade to v2.3. When I try to refresh, I get this error:

http://imgur.com/kf0ry5z

Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Thanks
Dave

Comments

• Hi,

Things to check:
    First - Open file CurrencConv.csv and make sure that columns are separated by TAB and not comma. If that is not the case, you need to change psConfig.txt and add 2 parameters: ColumnSeparater and DecimalSeparator.
    If file looks OK, then I am working with another user on similar problem that was reproduced on Excel 2013 Home/Business (no issue on Excel 2013 Pro Plus). Fix that I suggested (not confirmed yet due to time zone difference), was:
    In the folder where you have created external data files (c:\PortfolioSlicer\PSData) create new file schema.ini and add following lines to this file:

[CurrencyConv.csv]
    Format=TabDelimited

[Dates.csv]
    Format=TabDelimited

[Dividends.csv]
    Format=TabDelimited

[Quotes.csv]
    Format=TabDelimited

After that just try to refresh data.
    Please let me know if this fixes your problem, especially if schema.ini fixes your problem - if it does, I'll release updated scripts that will take care of this.
  • Hi Vidas,

My CurrencyConv.csv file was tab delimited, so I added the schema file as you suggested. That fixed the problem - the excel file refreshed correctly with no reported errors.

Thanks very much!
    Dave
  • I didn't find this solution beforehand but what I did to correct this problem was go to existing connections and reselect the file in the file path for each connection...even though the information was correct. What I noticed was only the first column of the file was shown but once I reselected the file all the columns would display.
  • Hi,

You are right, re selecting connection might help some time too. But in most cases users who experienced problem had Excel without full PowerPivot support, so they were not able to go to PowerPivot interface.
  • Vidas - when I open the CurrencConv.csv mine is comma separated. Above you mention that I need to change psConfig.txt and add 2 parameters: ColumnSeparater and DecimalSeparator. Can you be more specific on adding these?

Thank you,
    G
  • Hi G,

lines that you need to add are posted here: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/docs/upgrade.html. Basically you need lines:
    #ColumnSeparator values could be : Comma, Tab, VerticalBar

Tab

#DecimalSeparator: Default value is . (dot), in some countries this could be , (comma)

• Hi Vidas,
    I'm upgrading from v.1.0.2 to 2.3 using Xl16. A refresh produces a similar error for CurrencyConv.csv as described at the top of this thread. The data is arranged in different columns, nevertheless I added a schema.ini file which did not help. When the refresh is allowed to continue no other error messages are generated. Anything else I could check?

Thank you,
    jmore
  • Hi,

could you please zip psdata folder and send it to me? My email is on this page: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html
  • Hi,

All you data is comma separated, so you need to add parameter to psConfig.txt file:

Tab

#DecimalSeparator: Default value is . (dot), in some countries this could be , (comma)

Please add parameters above, rerun script and the open CurrencyConv.csv in notepad - you will see that data will be without commas. Then you can refresh data in Portfolio Slicer.
  • Hello,
    I had already added those lines. It looks like the parameter is not recognized by the script. No matter what value I put there (Comma, Tab, VerticalBar or something else) the csv-files are comma separated.
  • Hi then issue could be one of:

1. You have not updated your external data scripts (*.ps1 files) with new version files.
    2. Parameters you added has space in front of them (or ather special character) that prevents system to recognize them. You can send me your psConfig.txt and I can confirm if that is OK, but you can easily review that file too. Values should be:

Tab

• Well, it seems I have used the wrong script files. Now everything is working. Thank's a lot for your help. Portfolio Slicer is a great product!