Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Incorrect Dividends

I bought 20 shares of a stock on 2017-06-29. Started getting monthly dividends from 2017-08-01. So in 2017 I received $7.20 for the 5 months. The Dividends worksheet is showing $14.40 for 2017 and $14.40 for 2018 even though I have so far received $7.20 for the first 5 months of 2018.

Can you please explain if I am interpreting the sheet incorrectly? This is happening for my other stocks as well.

Thanks,
Amer

Comments

• Double counting of dividends usually happens if you enter dividends manually and also use script to extract dividends and calculated them automatically.
    If you enter dividends manually in srcTrans worksheet, then make sure you check file c:\PortfolioSlicer\PSData\dividends.csv - do you have dividends there for your stocks? If so, you need to delete files from Dividends subfolder and configure your symbols not to get dividends using scripts.
  • That explains it. Why didn't I think of this :)

Thank Vidas, you are Brilliant.
  • Does this also apply to the DRIP transaction (reinvested dividends)? I generate dividends through the script automatically and add DRIP transactions manually. Will this generate double counting?
  • I would stop using Generated Dividends as future Portfolio Slicer versions will not support them due to the lack of free easily accessable dividend data. Best recommendation would be to enter your dividend transactions manually - anyone can build Excel workbook that would help create these dividend transactions.
    If you are entering DRIP manually and then also using generated dividends, that would create double counting. If you trust existing generated dividends data, you could manually just add BuyTA transactions that would specify number of shares bought and total amount paid.