Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Capital Gain Calculation, Index return and Delete *Blank*

H Vidas,

Thank you for spending your time to create an awesome portfolio tracker. I'm having some minor issues with the PS and hope you can help me fix it.

1. Capital Gain Calculation
- I'm wondering what's the difference between your capital gain and unrealized gain formula? Please see the picture:

Is there a way that my portfolio only shows capital gain when I sell stocks?

2. Index Return
- I've followed your instruction but somehow my index return doesn't work.

My Index 1 is ^GSPTSE, Index 2 is ^SP5T5T, TMTIndex is ^DJITR. I have all of them in the src and srcSymbol workbooks.

3. Allocation *Blank*

- Could you show me how to delete the *Blank* in allocation? I can't figure it out.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Difference between capital gain and unrealized capital gain - when you sold some shares or sold and then bought the same symbol, then realized capital.
    I am on vacation now, will reply saturday or sunday
  • 1. Difference between capital gain and unrealized capital gain - when you sold some shares or sold and then bought the same symbol, then I calculate "realized capital gain". Capital gain = "Unrealized capital gain" + "Realized Capital Gain".
    2. It is very likely that you did not get quotes for these index symbols. Please add them to the symbol table, then to psConfig.txt (example Yahoo area).
    3. You have blank "Symbol allocation" when you have even one symbol in the transaction/quote/symbolSector table that is not in the symbol table. Could you please check that.
  • Thank you for your response Vidas. Is there a way that I can only show capital gain when I sell shares?

If you take a look at the yearly capital gain by symbol table, it's a mix between both realized capital gain and unrealized capital gain, which doesn't show a correct result.

By the way, how do you calculate the return? do you use time-weighted return or money-weighted return? is there a way that I can calculate my return based on time-weighted return method?

Thank you very much. you are doing GOD's work for laymen like us
  • Hi Fernando,

Can you please clarify Symbol that has incorrect Capital Gain calculation.
    Also, there is "Sales Capital Gain" measure that just shows capital gain after sale.
    There is also measure "Allnzd RoR" that calculates annualized rate of return.
  • Thanks, i figured out the Sales Capital Gain. I'm wondering how I can track my performance based on time-weighted return. I think the formula that you are using for PS is based on money-weighted return (mwt) which reflects the in/out of cash flows. MWT doesn't tell you exactly how well your portfolio is doing. If i have an option to track the monthly return of the whole portfolio based on time-weighted return. That would be great