Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scripts to get data for Portfolio Slicer from Yahoo, Google and BoC

13»

Comments

• As many users reported, Google is removing access to exchange rate data. Here is a script that gets intraday exchange rates from xe.com. Vidas - can you remove google and add xe scripts to release files?
  • Thanks, MaximT!
  • Thanks MaximT. Your script changes for currencies work. We really appreciate all the work do do on this project.
  • Hi MaximT, thanks for all these great scripts. The Yahoo quote script is not working for me right now. In the log, every quote returns "Not found (web err)". If I take the request URL from the log and put it in my browser, the JSON returns "Code: Unauthorized / Description: Invalid cookie". The Yahoo Intraday script still works, though.
  • jcm,

I just checked and Yahoo scripts work. URL supposed to return error "Invalid cookie" - that is how Yahoo works.
    Make sure that if you go to finance.yahoo.com and enter your symbol, there are quotes for that symbol. Maybe Yahoo does not provide quotes for that symbol anymore.
    Also, are you getting eny errors (red text) when running script? If so what is an error?
    If this is new machine, make sure you start IE browser and answer questions that IE will have - like default browser, etc - without that Yahoo scripts will not work.
  • Thanks Vidas! It works now. I'm not sure if this did it since it isn't a new machine, but I did open Internet Explorer. Might have just been a temporary issue anyway.
  • Hi MaximT & Vidas
    thanks for all your scripts.
    I am an European user, so my computer has setting for "Decimal Symbol" as comma and not dot. That's why I changed the to "," (comma) in the psConfig File. Now I have the problem, that my stock symbols in the PSData\quotes.csv have comma instead of dot (example "DAI.DE" is now "DAI,DE") and doesn't work.
    Can you help me and improve that?
  • Thanks Vidas! I've already tried a symbol rename in psconfig.txt as you recommended here: http://support.portfolioslicer.com/discussion/comment/995/#Comment_995
    That works fine.
  • MaximT:
    If anyone can recommend good source for FREE stock quotes, please post that link in this thread!
    From a Canadian perspective the missing link is tmxmoney: https://web.tmxmoney.com/quote.php?qm_symbol=RY.PR.P

It covers US stocks + the whole Canadian investing universe, including a few instruments like preferred shares and Canadian mutual funds which are not covered by Yahoo / AlphaVantage. It provides historical prices (for Canada + USA) and dividends (for Canadian securities only) by web. It doesn't seem to have a public API. This source would complete the Canadian data set now that Google took away its data; maybe you don't wish to implement a country-specific website, understandably, but I wanted to make you aware of this one!
  • I echo what jcm wrote above about the missing link from the Canadian perspective. My issue is the symbol BBD-PC.TO for which Yahoo only very sporadically has available the closing price leading to very odd results in my worksheet (e.g. YTD shows a 100% price decline - I assume since there was no closing price for December 31, 2018 - after manually entering, the correct price change appeared.

However, I note that the intraday price for the symbol is always available with the Yahoo Intraday script and, if performed late enough in the day, the returned intraday price is identical to the closing price. Might I suggest, if not too complicated to implement, that the scripts be amended to check for a missing closing price for each symbol and, if an intraday price is returned on the same day, replace in the appropriate data files, the intraday price for a missing closing price on that day?

Thanks for your consideration.

Gary
  • Good evening. Shall I start a new thread on this? It seems like this one has been quite inactive.
  • Hi Gary,

I read your suggestion and I am looking to see if that is possible to do. Actually, at the very early implementation, there was an attempt to "grab and keep" intraday quotes but because sometimes quotes can be late 2-5 business days, this failed and was not published.
    I believe that this still possible to implement by having a separate section for symbols (like Yahoo, Google, GoogleWeb) that would take and keep latest quote based on extract date and not Yahoo date (as this was unreliable). I will ask Maxim if he can implement this, but this might take some time.
  • Vidas,
    Thanks for replying. I look forward to your further comment.