Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Short and Long Term Capital Gains Distribution

I have started to use this program. It is absolutely amazing and just what I have always wanted as an investor.
So, first of all, Thank you, Vidas, for creating these work sheets.
Granted, it's a lot of work to enter all transactions but from what I have seen so far, it is well worth the effort.
So far I have only worked on "Buy"s but I do have one question. I have a couple of Mutual Funds that pay annual short or long term capital gains distributions. These are essentially cash (income) payments that increase the cash balance but do not change the share count. I have looked through your documentation but can not find a suitable entry code for these kind of payments. Could you advise please how to handle these kind of transactions. I am based in the US and all my securities are in USD. Thanks.

Comments

• If these are just simple cash payments, then they just look like normal dividends - so you can record them using TransType = "Div" (dividends) or "DivTA" (Dividends Total Amount).
    If these payments change Cost Basis, then we have transaction types:
    NotionalDistrib - Capital Gains Increases Book value, but cash is not paid out , that is cash value does not change
    ReturnOfCapital - Decreases book value and cash value increases.

• OK. Thanks. On the Holdings Worksheet in the Symbol Allocation Section I keep getting a (blank) field and I can not get rid of it. Not sure why. All my stocks are under US Broad Allocation.
  • Ignore that blank field under Symbol Allocation slicer. But please confirm that symbols in src worksheet Config table MarketIndex1 and MarketIndex2 are listed in your Symbol table.