Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bonds

I have read discussions here that are related to bonds, and would like to add a bit to it.
Bonds are released at par value, say $100 per bond. They pay either fixed or variable interest (coupon). On expiry, we get our investment back ($100). Now, some bonds repay the principal in addition to the coupon. So every payment has two components - interest and principal. Similar really to a mortgage. Every time I get paid the coupon, attached is a repayment of the principal, say $5. This is not Capital Return in a classic sense - while I retain the same number of bonds, their face value reduces with each repayment of the principal. (again, like a loan repayment). So at the end, I will get back my $100 par, less total amount repaid thus far. Using Capital Return will lower my cost base and show capital gain, which I don't believe would be correct. Entering a small sale (at par) with every payment would maintain the original face value of the bond and the current investment value, but I am not sure what other ripple effect it will have in other tables. Lowering the price would introduce capital loss, also incorrect. Comments would be appreciated, thanks, Peter

Comments

• My understanding is that when you get paid interest that is part interest and part principal, you would have to enter 2 transactions - normal "DivTA" and "ReturnOfCapital". My understanding is that his return of principal is the sam as "ReturnOfCapital".
  • Hi Vidas and thank you for your answer. I had a chat with my fixed interest broker today and he confirmed that principal repayment is not the same as capital return with stocks. Mostly taxation treatment. Bond principal repayment has no tax consequence, while return of capital does as it lowers your cost base and so potentially increases capital gain.