Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issue With Capital Gain - Buy USD Stock in CAD account, Transfer from CAD to USD Account, Sell.

I have 2 RRSP Accounts. One in CAD currency and one in USD. I purchased a USD stock in CAD account. I then transferred this stock to my USD account. I then sold the USD stock. The actual capital gain was ~21%. When entering the transactions as described HERE, it shows the capital gain as ~10%.

Here is a screenshot of the supposed correct way to input the data (srcTrans, and Mthly-Symbol) and then again by entering the transactions less accurately. On date of buy, withdraw CAD funds from RRSP-CAD, deposit USD funds in RRSP-USD, buy USD stock in USD funds in RRSP-USD account, sell USD stock in USD funds in RRSP-USD.

Am I entering this info incorrectly? Whats the best way to enter these transactions?

Comments

• Hi,

In the first transaction list, row 54 for CostBasisOverride you should be specifying original cost basis - 38,516.5 (instead of 39117.72), because in USD your original cost basis is : 181*212.75 + 8.75.
    Can you try update this number and see results?
  • Small change, but same issue.
  • Thanks for sending this, but can you do couple more changes:
    1. Remove 8.75 Fee from SymbolTransferIn transaction
    2. Specify "ExchRateRpt1Override" and/or "ExchRateRpt2Override" for "Buy" transaction, otherwise it is using Exch rate specified in Exchange rate file. Assuming your Currency1 is CAD, then you should specify ExchRateRpt2Override as 0.755172923 (1/1.32420002 ).

After these updates, your Capital Gain values should match between both cases. Please post here if that is the case.

If Cap Gain matches, post updated screenshots here and I'll try explaining why Cap Gain % does not match.
    https://www.portfolioslicer.com/docs/how-to-calculate-investment-capital-gain-percent-profit-percent.html
  • Thanks for your help Vidas.

It still shows profit lower than what I expected. I view this as an edge case that won't happen again after I learned about norbits gambit. The few trades I have like this I will enter them how i described in my first post to get accurate stats.

Thanks for all your work on this. I've tried many spreadsheets and this is the only one that provides an accurate picture with multiple accounts and currencies. Nothing else comes close.
  • Do you still want to investigate why profit is lower than expected? If so post here what are your results and what you are expecting to see. You should be able to get EXACT value as expected for Capital Gain, but for Cap Gain % value will not necessary will be as expected, because in the months when symbol is bought or sold value might be approx.