Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unable to do first refresh, looking for Powerpivot?

Running through your You Tube migration video, got all my data copied across. Attempt to do the first 'Refresh all' and get the following error message :-1:
'Embedded Analysis service engine : Unable to open embedded Powerpivot table'.

Running Excel 2010 on Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi Chris,

1. As you did the migration, I have to assume that you did run older Portfolio Slicer version on the same machine - please confirm that previous version worked without a problem.
    2. Please confirm that you followed this routine to refresh data: http://portfolioslicer.com/docs/excel2010-refresh-data.html
    3. Confirm that you have the latest version of PowerPivot. Start Excel 2010, go to menu PowerPivot, Settings - version should be 11.0.5058.0. If no, update PowerPivot with the latest version from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=43348
    4. If above no help, try to start Excel as administrator and see if that makes difference. To start Excel as administrator, right mouse click on Excel icon and choose "Run as Administrator".

If above does not work, please post here.
  • Thanks for this Vidas.

Not sure what changed if anything, but the refresh worked for me, but looks like it's not using my data, balance is zero, based on a 'family' portfolio....which I don't have? My porfolio's are named after myself and my wife, Think I've mis-entered data somewhere?

• Chris,

If it is not using your data, that usually means there are some problems with your data. Please try to review your tables in Excel and make sure that there are no empty rows at the end of the table - this is very common reason why refresh fails. For example, it is very common to leave empty rows in SymbolSector or Transaction tables - please make sure that is not the case. If all looks good and you cannot figure out your issue, you can send me your workbook, psConfig.txt file and content of your PSData folder and I can investigate why you are having problems. My email is posted on this page: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html

• Thanks Vidas, I've emailed you with the requested files.

Chris
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for sending me your workbook.
    It appears to me that for some reason PowerPivot was not automatically refreshing your Excel tables. I believe this could be due to the fact that you previously tried to refresh with data that had problems, then you fixed data, but PowerPivot still stayed in the state of error. I am not 100% sure about that, but that is my best guess.
    To recover here are steps for Excel 2010:
    1. Start Excel and open Portfolio Slicer workbook.
    2. Go menu "PowerPivot" and click on "PowerPivot" button.
    3. Click on the table "Account". You will notice that in PowerPivot you will see Accounts that are not yours. Normally this table (and all other Excel tables) should be updated automatically every time you open PowerPivot window, but for some reason that is not the case with your workbook.
    4. Force update of Excel tables - click menu "Linked Table" and then button "Update All". Confirm that now Account table lists your accounts.
    5. In the same "Linked table" menu click on the button "Update Mode" - confirm that mode is "Automatic".
    6. In PowerPivot window click on menu "Home" and then buttons "Refresh"->"Refresh All".
    7. Close PowerPivot window.
    8. Select cell in any Pivot Table, then right mouse click and choose "Refresh".

You should now see your reports.

Please let me know if you still have any issues.
  • That's done the trick! As you surmised, the accounts hadn't been updated to mine.

Thanks very much Vidas.

Chris