Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Issues After refresh

This discussion was created from comments split from: v2.02 -> v2.3 problem (can't refresh table 'CurrencyConv').

Comments

• Dear Vidas, I had a good day working on the PowerBI -- what beautiful results after overcoming the initial glitches with the external data files. Then I decided to add data (beyond my 10 record test dataset) to my workbook file (portfolioslicer) and after refreshing the workbook everything went awry. I was not working in PowerBI any longer, just testing the calculations with the new data in the workbook.

First, I noticed the new data did not participate in the calculations...the cost basis field was empty for the new records and therefore all the results were incorrect. Because I had copied data from another spreadsheet, I assumed I had copied some inconsistent formats in the srcTrans sheet and decided to start from scratch, i.e. fresh portfolioslicer workbook. Same issues, so tried again, this time with only two records of new input data. For all attempts the currencyconv error described in this thread was occurring. I've tried everything described here -- refreshing connections, new script files download, schema.ini, recreate currencyconv file, checked the file using the script check (no error) etc etc...but the "missing" CurrencyFrom-in-the-rowset error continues.

The original file that was working so well with PowerBI is now apparently corrupt after trying to add the additional records, , so quite a setback. As always, I'm sure this will be overcome but am short of new ideas at the moment. Any thoughts appreciated.
  • Hi,

Can you please send me:
    1. Your Excel workbook.
    2. Files in PSData\ folder

After I'll receive files, I'll investigate and update you here in the forum thread what I found.
    My email can be found at this link: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html

• HI,

Thanks for sending me your workbook.
    As you notice, Portfolio Slicer is a fragile system. That is because I am using Excel as the development environment and I cannot change how Excel is behaving, I am just using Excel functionality. If I would right application, I would force users to enter data right or would enforce file formats, but in the Excel I cannot do that. I hope after your first issues are solved, you overcome fragility.
    Also, there is no more "cloud" server in Portfolio Slicer unless you choose to publish your workbook to Power BI service - but that is Microsoft service. I have no access to any data you enter, nor do I know how you are using system. Absolutely all data is just on your PC and all calculations are done on your PC.
    So now lets look at your issues.
    Your primary issue with refresh is that one of the files is not named correctly. You should have file "schema.ini", but you have file "schema.ini.txt". As soon as you will fix that most of your problems will go away. Even in the screenshot you send me file appears to be named schema.ini, but that is just because you do not see extensions for any of the files in that folder. Here is how you can change your computer settings to see file extensions: http://www.techtin.com/windows-8/how-to-show-hide-file-extension-in-windows-8/

Another issue you might have is that in Holdings worksheet you selected 2 reporting currencies: "Original" and "USD" - please select just one.

And the third issue is that in CurrencyConv.csv file you have conversions just in one direction. For example you have conversion "USD" to "CAD", but you also need conversion "CAD" to "USD"

Please fix this issue and you will most likely see PS working again.
  • Dear Vidas, Try to picture me tipping my hat and kneeling in gratitude all in one. You make it look easy. Works like a charm now. Suggest the two-way currency conversion data requirement be added to your documentation (apologies if I missed it).

My comment on fragility was not meant as a criticism, simply an observation that because of the minor but numerous 'moving' parts (error-prone variables) to the system, there is an inherent fragility that may cause less accomplished computer users to give up on the process mid-way and you thereby lose a larger potential user base. Even though this is non-commercial, it's truly a wonderful creation and window into what's possible with PowerPivot and especially with PowerBI. Those who haven't used PowerBI yet may not understand my enthusiasm, but Microsoft should be proud of your role. I believe PowerBI and the likes (Qlik etc) will change the way analytics is done and even put some larger companies who've made a business out of complexity, well...out of business.

I'm sure I'll come across more challenges and so will remain in touch. In the meantime...

Sincere thanks.