Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exchange Rate on Dividends

Vidas,

On the Dividends tab, I need to obtain dividends received for a fiscal period (say, October 1, 2015 to September 30, 2016. I need the report to be in Canadian dollars.

My question is, does the report use the Canadian dollar equivalent of say, US dollars, for the date received or does it bring the Canadian dollar equivalent to the current exchange rate.

I ask because, unless I changed some entries (I don't believe so), a check of the same period appears to return different amounts depending on the day checked - I recorded the numbers some months ago and then checked again today and the numbers are different.

Please advise.

Thanks.
Gary

Comments

• Hi Gary,

Exchange rate is calculated for the date when the dividends are received. That is the rule for all calculations in PS.
  • Gary,

I tried to think if there would be a situation when you would seen the behaviour you described. And it would be possible if you add exchange rate data AFTER you added transactions. So if you have dividend transaction for 2016-01-26, but no exchange rate for that date, then exchange rate from 2016-01-25 (or before) would be used for reports. When you add exchange rate for 2016-01-26, then that rate will be used in the reports.
    Also, during the day every time you run .bat file - you get updated exchange rate. But then at the end of the day (after about 4:30pm ET) official exchange rate is picked up from Bank of Canada website and that rate is official "Noon" exchange rate. So, your proper exchange rate comes in just after 4:30ET refresh or might be even later.
    If you still have any hesitation is your results, we can investigate it further, but then I would need your Excel.