Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Switching Quotes source from Yahoo to Google

Comments

• I am similar to Gumby, i cannot get the intraday quotes. I have copied the last google intraday script (GetQuotesGoogleIntraday.ps1) and updated the UpdatePSDataIntraday.bat with the requested information but still only has yesterday's values.
  • Ryano,

To make debug Google Intraday quote issues, please do following:
    1. Check file Scripts\Log\GetQuotesGoogleIntraday.txt. If file does not exists, then script did not run - check .bat file. If file exists, check if there are any clues in the log why data is not there.
    2. Check file QuotesIntraday\GoogleIntraday.txt. Does this file exists? Is there data in there as expected?
    3. Check google finance page https://www.google.com/finance?q=VOO, but replace VOO with your google symbol. Do you see correct intraday value? Maybe you have international symbol and google does not update quotes mid day?

• The GetQuotesGoogleIntraday.txt. is there. The following is a snip of what it ran:

4:09:56 --- Starting script GetQuotesGoogleIntraday.ps1. Symbol count: 53. MinDate: 2015-12-31
    Symbol: TICC
    Last local quote: 2017-05-24.
    Requesting url: https://www.google.com/finance?q=TICC
    Found price: 7.13
    Date found after string '_elt': 'May 25,'
    2017-05-25,7.13,TICC

Symbol: EAD
    Requesting url: https://www.google.com/finance?q=EAD
    Found price: 8.64
    Date found in : 'May 25 '
    2017-05-25,8.64,EAD

Symbol: WPC
    Requesting url: https://www.google.com/finance?q=WPC
    Found price: 64.96
    Date found in : 'May 25 '
    2017-05-25,64.96,WPC

It looks like it is working but not carrying through to the spreadsheet to update the values.

The Googleintraday.txt is also there and looks to be updating.

I have confirmed that the symbols are correct.

Would it matter if the symbols within the PSconfig file are in both the google section as well as the googleweb section?

Thanks for you help!
  • OK,

The output looks good, so you are getting intraday quotes.
    Are you getting any errors during Excel refresh? If you have these symbols in Google and GoogleWeb sections, I would expect that you would get errors and refresh could fail.
    To know if symbol should be in Google or GoogleWeb section follow these steps:
    1. Go to Google finance website for that symbol: https://www.google.com/finance?q=TICC (Replace TICC with your symbol)
    2. Go to "Historical prices" link from that page.
    3. If on the right, under "Historical Chart" you see link "Download to spredsheet", then you should put this symbol under Google section, otherwise put symbol under GoogleWeb section.

So fix your symbols, re-run .bat file and try refreshing again. If you still have issue, please post here.

• Vidas,

I may be thinking the alias works one way and you designed it to use a different way.

On the srcSymbol tab the stock symbol (MUTF:AWSHX) is entered in the "Symbol" column of the first table. The stock symbol is entered in the "Symbol" column of the second table and finally the stock symbol is entered in the "Symbol" column of the third table. The symbol alias (AWSHX) is entered into the "SymbolAlias" of the third table.

On the srcTrans tab the symbol alias is entered into the "SymbolName" column. This completes the manual data entries.

On the srcTrans tab the stock symbol (MUTF:AWSHX) is displayed in the "Symbol" column.
    On the Dashboard tab the stock symbol is displayed in the columns instead of symbol alias
    On all the remaining tabs the stock symbol is displayed in the "Symbol" column instead of symbol alias. Is this the way you designed it or should symbol alias be displayed in the "Symbol" columns? I was expecting symbol alias.
  • Smith,

SymbolAlias table is used just in one place - srcTrans table. I had to enter lots of transactions and I copied them from bank provided pdf, formatted in Excel and then needed an easy way to translate bank provided names to symbols I use. So I introduced SymbolAlias table.
    So what you experience is exactly how I designed it to use. In all reports you should see symbol - that is MUTF:AWSHX.
    But over time I realized that I need to adjust my design to introduce another column into symbol table that would help user use any string to express symbol. I am still working on design, but this will be implemented in next release.
  • Thanks very much Vidas. Missed that step.
  • Hi Vidas,

I am still not having any luck with the intraday quotes. The closing quotes for the 25th all came through but nothing so far for the 26th, The Googleintraday.txt has updated for the 26th. I get no errors when doing an excel refresh.

Ryan
  • Ryano,

Could you please send me:
    Your Excel File, files in Quotes subfolder, files in QuotesIntraDay and files in PSData folder. I will take a look. My email is posted on this page: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html
  • Hi Vidas & Ryano,

I have figured out why the Google Intraday quotes were not picked up on a refresh.

I checked the following:
    1. This file Scripts\Log\GetQuotesGoogleIntraday.txt looks good.
    2. This file QuotesIntraday\GoogleIntraday.txt has the expected data.
    3. I have checked all my symbols like this: https://www.google.com/finance?q=VOO, but replace VOO with your google symbol.
    4. PSData\Dates.csv has the current date
    5. PSData\CurrencyConv.csv includes the intraday values
    6. PSData\Quotes.csv does not have any intraday values

To fix, I edited the following line in MakePSDatafiles.ps1 (in Scripts folder)
    Line 28, change:
    $quoteIDFileYA = $dataRootFolder + "\QuotesIntraDay\YahooIntraday.txt"; # This file might or might not exist
    to
    $quoteIDFileYA = $dataRootFolder + "\QuotesIntraDay\GoogleIntraday.txt"; # This file might or might not exist
  • xcerik,

You are absolutely right - there is code missing from MakePSDatafiles.ps1 file. As I got code from Maxim, I am using that without any problems, and you either have to add code from xcerik or you can download attached file and update MakePSDataFiles.ps1 file (unblock first).

Thank you xcerik!
  • Hi Vidas

I now have another problem. I am getting the intraday quotes and have changed Line 28 (thanks xcerik) but now have the following error;

"Quotes.csv. Date+Symbol should be unique - ERROR. Duplicate records: "

Would you know what's causing this?

Thanks !
  • Gumby,

Error message should have more details - like what symbol is causing duplicate on what date. So you have to figure out if you have multiple files in Quotes subfolder that have same Symbol. Also, if you moved "old" files to any subfolder inside of QUotes folder - these files are still used. So basically when Quotes.csv is created all files including all subfolders are used from Quotes folder. Please double check you do not have any extra files in there.
  • Hi Vidas

Thanks for the quick reply. The error was a duplication on all my symbols on the last quote. Removing the quotes in my "QuotesIntraDay Folder" solved the problem. Must have accidentally generated quotes in that folder.

Thanks again :-)
  • Vidas,

I have done everything that has been stated on this thread to this point. Everything seems to be working now but i am too getting the same "Quotes.csv. Date+Symbol should be unique - ERROR. Duplicate records: " as Gumby waa getting. I deleted everything in the Quotes and intraday quotes sub folder but get errors when running the updatepsdata and updatepsdataintraday files. They seem to be still updating everything though even with the errors.