Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Support for more than 3 currencies

Comments

• Hi Vidas

Many congratulations on PS V2 !And much thanks for the help and guidance in making an easy conversion.

In the previous version, you allowed for support up to 3 currencies. As a suggestion it will be great if PS V2 can support even more currencies ...... perhaps 5 at a minimum. IMHO, allowing for this will make PS that much more powerful !

Best Regards and Congratulations again!

Gumby
  • edited April 2016
    Hi Gumby,

I am working on new release and attempted to add support for up to 5 currencies. But my tests show that adding additional 2 currency supports have noticeable impact on performance, even when these currencies are not used. On my test database query time changes:
    Linked table refresh from 26sec to 33sec
    Report refresh from 25sec to 28sec
    Max memory during report refresh: from 750MB to 845MB

I know that many users have higher refresh times, so for them impact would be even bigger. For next release I will not add more currency support, but I'll see what I can do in the future.

Could you please let me know what version of Excel are you using? And, would it be enough for you if I would add up to 5 currency support just in Portfolio Slicer for Power BI?
  • Hi Vidas

I am using excel 2013 as part of MS Home Office.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to evaluate the addition of more currencies. I have not migrated to power BI yet but yes, having 5 currencies is a big help.

Just my own opinion (with my own vested interest of course :smile: ), the benefits of 5 currencies on PS far outweigh the refresh times.
  • At this point I released new verison v2.2. In this release just Portfolio Slicer for PowerBI - it will support up to 5 currencies - with limitation that you cannot specify in Transactions table ExchRateOverride value for currencies 4 and 5. Please test and see how it works for you. I will review code for currency conversion at some point in the future to see if this could be added to Excel workbook.
  • Hi Vidas

The 5 currencies of V2.2 works well!

Only thing is I can't refresh the data on PS v2.2 because after adding the 2 new lines of scrip into psConfig.txt, PSData Quotes, Currency etc. is in the new format ......... not sure if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

Gumby
  • Hi,

You had to migrate your PS v2.1 to v2.2 - so download new Excel workbook and move data there.
  • Hi Vidas

I have migrated to v2.2 and just now to v2.3. Have also included the 2 new lines of script into psConfig.txt

Unfortunately, both PS versions cannot refresh CurrencyConv in PSData. They can refresh CurrencyConv in PSData with script from V2.1

I probably have missed a step. Any ideas from your end on where I should start looking?

Thanks
  • Did you check external data files to make sure they are "TAB" separated and not comma separated? If so, could you please send me your psConfig.txt, your external files and your Excel workbook (could be just with few transactions).
  • Issue was resolved and currently scripts are updated so this issue would not come up again.
    Explanation:
    When Excel reads files, default column separator is comma. With version 2.2 we changed column separator to TAB. Excel 2010 and Excel 2013 with full PowePivot support did not have any issues loading files with TAB, but Excel 2013 with limited PowerPIvot support (Home & Business edition), for some reason did not properly read these external files. Solution was to create schema.ini file in the same location as external files with additional instructions on how Excel should read these files.

Again, currently External Data Management Scripts will create this schema.ini file for you.
  • Hi Vidas

Many thanks for solving the issue so quickly :-)
  • I would also very much welcome the 5 currency support n PowerBI, thank you.
  • New at this and still looking into setting my portfolio up but I have a question about currencies. Am I right that you can enter stocks in more that 3 currencies (e.g. Japanese, Hong Kong, Australian, European and US stocks in my case) but that the 'output' will only be possible in 2 currencies (I would be interested in reports in USD or EUR)?

Thanks and the product looks great.

Arthur
  • Arthur,

Portfolio Slicer was not tested with more than 3 currencies. But my expectation is that is you will provide currency exchange data between different currencies, then you can use more than 3 currencies. Limitation will be that in reports you will be able to see results just for "Original" currency, or first 3 reporting currencies and conversion to these 3 reporting currencies from any other currencies (more than 3) will be done properly. Some more info: http://support.portfolioslicer.com/index.php?p=/discussion/87/a-thought-on-currency-conversion