Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Excel stuck at 'reading data'

Hi. Thanks for the awesome work on this app.

I had to re-install my entire Windows 10 OS and as a result, I had to re-install the slicer. I did all the steps shown in your step-by-step instructions. I'm not able to get past the 'reading data' phase after I refresh all data.

Any idea where that would come from?

Comments

• Before doing refresh, please update Excel with latest service packs and security updates. This should take care of your problem.
  • I use a version of excel that I downloaded this morning directly from Microsoft's website. I ran all the possible updates from Windows Update. I re-installed the whole package from your website. At this point, I only put a few transactions to make it as simple as possible for testing purposes, but every time I 'Refresh Data' from the excel spreadsheet, it crashes.

When I run the 'UpdatePSData' file, I get a bunch of red messages. I included 2 screenshots of the messages, and also a screenshot of the 'src' page, 1 screenshot of the 'srcSymbol' and also 1 screenshot of the srcTrans' page.

Hopefully you'll be able to help me with my issues.

• edited February 2018
    Hi,

We have to deal with one issue at the time.
    So first you must get rid of errors during refresh. If you read through the message, somewhere it says that "Internet Explorer first launch configuration is not completed". So simply start IE and go through steps of configuring it - like choosing default search engine, etc. After that you can re-run powershell script and make sure there are no errors.
    After you done that and after that you can do refresh in Excel.
    So lets first fix that script red message, then try to refresh and if you are still experiencing issue, please post here.
  • thanks for your time. i did the Internet Explorer steps. Now, the UpdatePSData goes smoothly, no more red. All white, very short, very clean.

Refresh Data from Excel still causes the same crash at the same point. :(
  • OK, now lets deal with Excel. First what Excel version are you using? Is Excel crashing or gets stuck on "Reading data"? If it is Excel 2013 and gets stuck on "Reading data", then it is 90% chance that you need to update Excel to get issue to go away. If it is Excel 2013, do not rely on WIndows Update, but you might need to update Service pack manually. To check what is build for your Excel follow steps:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2951141/how-to-determine-the-service-pack-level-of-your-office-2013-suite

Now, I am trying to guess what can be wrong. So you have just a few transactions - could you please make sure that you do not have more quotes for Symbols that are not defined in Excel Symbol table. That is - if in Excel Symbol table you have 5 symbols, then make sure that quotes.csv file also have 2 symbols.

Lets start from this and see where we will end up.
  • I use Excel/Office 2016, freshly downloaded and upgraded from within Excel. I have 4 symbols in srcSymbols (^GSPC, ^GSPTSE, ONEQ.TO, PCA425). 3 transactions in srcTRANS (1 cash deposit, 1 buy, 1 DRIP).

When updating the PSData, all my symbols show up properly in the quotes and the archived files as well.
  • OK. Can you send my your Excel file and all files from PSData folder. I'll investigate. But my next reply will be just tomorrow, as I am going out now.
    My email is posted on this page: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html
  • ok, so I just re-run my main file, and when I refresh the excel data, it seems to crash excel a few times but eventually comes back to normal (after several minutes of processing - 7 years of data) and it seems to be working normally at the end with the data all refreshed. Thanks you for helping me with the original problem and sorry for taking too much of your time.

cheers :)