Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Script and Excel update issue

2»

Comments

• buddyb,

I thought about your suggestion before, but really if we need to force user to get data in a predefined format, it is very likely as easy for them just to manually update quotes in the folder, that is - to manage one file per symbol in Quotes folder. Or are you thinking about having user prepare file with many quotes from different symbols and then script would put data from that file into proper files?
  • I'm thinking the user would prepare a single file, with many quotes from different symbols, and then the PS scripts would put data from the user file into the proper (existing PS format and structure) files. You should not change your method of 1 Stock Symbol = 1 Symbol Quote file, and PS scripting wraps everything up into a single .CSV file which is then used by PortfolioSlicer.

As a specific example, A data collection program, "AmiQuote" gathers and creates Quote filess much the same way as your PS project does, using "open and free" web data sources. The partner graphics program "AmiBroker" has the ability to import (and export) subscription Quote information to the user's local PC. I imagine the export file from AmiBroker would be a single text or CSV file containing multiple quotes and symbols - pretty much as member CNH describes in a previous chat posting,

It would be up to the user (ie: us) to create the one or more single data files that contain multiple Quotes/multiple symbols which will be located on the user 's PC local drive. We would then just need the PS Scripts to be able to gather Quote data from Yahoo.com and other sources, AS WELL AS the ability to capture the quotes from this PC local drive file.

Scripts might get a bit complicated because of possible various date formats, and other parameters, but it might be an area worth exploring.
  • If you go ahead with the above idea, I don't think to many people would argue, if you included the ability of the PS data files to contain a bit more Stock Quote information than just the Closing Share price ;)
  • Vidas, thank you for your help
  • buddyb, thanks for suggestion. I will look into this, but a bit later.