Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Portfolio Slicer v2.4 (beta) released

Please test and let me know if you encounter any issues.
This version adds following changes:

Added many more conditional formatting and data validation rules that would help enter correct data
All fixes to bugs reported by users up to date are included in this release
Allocation table accepts decimal percentage values (before was just whole numbers).
Allocation table has additional column Index - that allows you to specify symbol that will be used as base when comparing performance.
Added ability to compare your returns to one symbol return. For example, you can compare your portfolio return to VT (Total market) performance.

Comments

• Hi Vidas,
    I'm looking forward to using all the new features of PS v2.4. Very impressive!. You have outdone yourself once again. I have populated v2.4 with my 2.3 parameters and settings. It actually went quite smoothly. The PowerPivot "UpdateAll" went well, as did the "Data Refresh". Over in the main PS side, when I do the "Data-> Refresh all", I'm picking up two warning messages (one follows the other):

After I "Continue to Refresh all", PS opens.
    At first glance, I notice that my "Accounts" section within the "Yearly" tab has not been updated. This sections appear to be updated in all the other related Tabs.

Still checking things over .... I appreciate you have allowed the T1135 tab to stay!
    Regards for now
    (I'm using XL 2010 version)
  • Hi Vidas,
    I am running Excel 2016. I transferred my data and I did not receive any errors. I noticed the change in the allocation table. In the past in v2.3, when I added additional rows to the allocation table, the dashboard would auto-populate with the new allocations, but in this version that is not happening.

e.g. The default allocation table does not have Fixed Income (or Bonds) and I added that to the allocation table and ensured that the total allocation was 100%. After refreshing all tables, the dashboard is not showing Fixed Income.

I see a lot of new charts and data, and I am still reviewing them. I will report back. Thanks for your continued effort, Vidas!
  • Qosmioamit, Allocation should go into reports naturally, but you also must first for symbols specify allocation (Fixed income). Please make sure you have done so and you have symbols with Fixed Income allocation. Let me know if you done that and Allocation is still not in the reports.
  • buddyb,

Usually this indicates problems with data, for example missing quotes for a few months. There is now new worksheet Mthly-Symbols that would show for each symbol what monthly data would look like. You would need to select symbol after symbol and see if monthly symbol data makes sense or if there are any huge variations.
    If you cannot find issue yourself, you can send me your workbook and PSData files, and I would investigate?
  • Hi Vidas,
    "Usually this indicates problems with data, for example missing quotes for a few months." .... That's all I need for direction at the moment .. I'm heading into the haystack now. I'll keep you posted ....
    Thanks!
    (The direction PS is going is really cool!)
  • Hi Vidas,
    The "Mthly-Symbol" tab is GREAT. Does this table work this way?

1. For every month that I own a particular Stock( or Symbol), I will see sequential Year-Month line entries showing data in the table - as long as I hold the Symbol.
    2. If I sell all the stock, but start buying it again six months later, I would expect a gap in the "Year-Month" line entries when I don't own the stock.
    3. The monthly Year-Month line entry sequence will resume again when I buy and hold the stock the second time.

(If this is true, this is a great trouble shooting tool, allowing you to pin-point data gaps. Have you built this tab to address the "5 partial buys/sells" of a stock "feature" of past PS?)

Regards
    Buddyb
  • Hi Vidas
    Yes, I did ensure that the equities in "srcSymbol" were allocated. I have created a dummy file for you to review. Thanks,
    Regards,
    Amit
  • buddyb,
    This report right now has a filter just show months when Profit <> 0. In most cases this will behave as you described as there will be some price changes/dividends that will make Profit <>0.
    This report should help troubleshoot any calculations/errors and I would reference to it when any user tells me that Profit or Capital Gain (amount or %) appears to be not correct. This would let troubleshoot such cases.
  • qosmioamit - Thank you, I reproduced the issue. Fix is select button on the right of column header "Allocation" and then choose "Clear filter from Allocation". I will update release files to fix this very shortly.
    Thanks again for reporting this!
  • edited March 2018
    Vidas,
    This report ("Mthly-Symbol" Tab), is pointing me directly to the year, and then the symbol, and is now showing me easily fixed "data issues" I never knew I had. (So very cool). I have my missing "Account" buttons back now - all I had to do was filter by year to a point without data errors. All looks good ... (but I'll be busy for a while ... :) )
  • Oh, I should have seen that :(
    I do like how you are doing sector allocation of the indices. I did that in v2.3 on my own.
    I try and avoid using OTHER. Here's some of mine that I currently use. You could use them in v2.4.

^GSPC HLTH 14% DEF
    ^GSPC REIT 3% CYC
    ^GSPC IT 24% SEN
    ^GSPC UTIL 3% DEF
    ^GSPC STPL 8% DEF
    ^GSPC COMM 2% SEN
    ^GSPC DISC 12% CYC
    ^GSPC IND 10% SEN
    ^GSPC MAT 3% CYC
    ^GSPC ENGY 6% CYC
    ^GSPC FIN 15% CYC

^GSPTSE FIN 35% CYC
    ^GSPTSE ENGY 20% CYC
    ^GSPTSE MAT 12% CYC
    ^GSPTSE DISC 5% CYC
    ^GSPTSE COMM 5% SEN
    ^GSPTSE STPL 4% DEF
    ^GSPTSE IT 3% SEN
    ^GSPTSE REIT 3% CYC
    ^GSPTSE HLTH 1% DEF
    ^GSPTSE UTIL 4% DEF
    ^GSPTSE IND 10% SEN

HXT.TO FIN 41% CYC
    HXT.TO ENGY 20% CYC
    HXT.TO IND 10% SEN
    HXT.TO MAT 9% CYC
    HXT.TO COMM 6% SEN
    HXT.TO DISC 5% CYC
    HXT.TO STPL 4% DEF
    HXT.TO IT 3% SEN
    HXT.TO UTIL 2% DEF
    HXT.TO HLTH 0% DEF
  • Thank you for this great program, your time and effort to create and support this spread sheet is greatly appreciated.

I have noticed that on the SrcTrans Sheet that Drip is not multiplying price and qty. The TotalAmnt column indicates the price for one unit only. This can be duplicated in the V2.4 download sheet by changing symbol VT from DivTa to Drip and note the TotalAmnt column.
  • randywc,

Thank you very much for reporting this bug! You absolutely right, DRIP was behaving differently comparing to the old version. I changed DRIP behaviour and added new transaction type DripTA.
    I updated Excel files and they are available for download now. For this update in Excel you will see that Portfolio Slicer version changed from 2.4.0 to 2.4.01.

Thanks again for reporting this!
  • Upgraded to V2.4.01, Drip works fine. I am getting an error on the Dividend sheet. If I select any button to filter, I get a message This PivotReport is invalid try refreshing the data (on the analyze tab, click refresh)

I have not be able to get rid of this error and anytime I select a filter button, I get the error and the filter returns to default.
  • randywc, I cannot reproduce this issue. Could you send me your workbook? For privacy, you can just leave a few records, but make sure that you can reproduce same issue with data that you send me. My email is posted on this page: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html