Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holdings Tab Shows Profit of -100% for 1 Stock

Hello, recently i purchased a stock and after I update the external data, the Holdings tab reflects a -100% profit for this stock even though the total value of the stock on this tab has the correct value. The Total Value, Capital Gain, Profit, Cost Basis per Unit and Symbol Price all reflect the correct values, but Profit is calculated to be -100%.

I was using v2.3 (Excel 2016) and just upgraded to v2.4.06 but the problem still exists. The quotes.csv file contains the correct price that is displayed in the Symbol Price column of the Holdings tab.

In v2.3 of the file, the other tab this problem manifests itself is on the Dashboard tab as it reports as a Top Loser YTD given it is at -100%

Any ideas on what I may have done wrong and where i should look?

Thank you.
Mark

Comments

• Hi Mark,

Please make sure that purchase date is correct - for example 2018-11-12 and 2018-12-11 represents different dates. If dates are OK, then can you send me your workbook and I'll investigate. My email is posted on this page: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html
  • Hi Vidas, I am unable to figure out what the problem is. I am sending you my file. Thank you. Mark
  • Hi,

Thanks for sending me your file.
    If you go to Mthly-Symbol tab and select symbol that is not right in Holdings tab, you will notice that for 2018-09 this symbol has Profit % of -100%. If you will then look into existing quotes for that symbol, you will notice that even you have up to dates quotes, there are no quotes for this symbol between 2013-07-11 and 2018-10-18. For PS to work, you need to you quotes at least every month. So when profit is calculated, for 2018-09 end price is 0, so total value is 0 so that symbol becomes "total loss" and that affects final calculation.
    To fix this - add missing quotes.

As for ather reported problem - it appears that when you copy data from old version to new version, you simply do copy and then paste. It is very important that when you paste data into new spreadsheet, you do right mouse click and then choose option "Paste values".

I belive because of formatting copying over, you have issues with date and symbol recognition. Please first fix that and if you still have issues, then send me updated workbook and I'll take a look.

• Thank you Vidas. You were correct that I was missing some prices that spanned more than 1 month. That problem is now fixed but I still have an issue with my last symbol still not being recognized after I rebuilt the workbook pasting values. I am going to send you a revised workbook.

Thank you. ...Mark
  • Actually, I just realized that if I have a TransType of of "INT" that the SymbolName needs to be "* Cash". This solved the problem.

Thanks for all your support Vidas.
  • I do have similar problem.

To fix this - add missing quotes.
    However, i can see the quotes for the stock in Quotes folder and Quotes.csv but not populated in BI for the stock for few months.

Please advise.
  • srinivasakd - can you send me your Excel file and specify Symbol that has problem. My email is posted on this page: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html