Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worksheets don't update on Data Refresh (New Install)

I just recently discovered Portfolio Slicer and installed PortfolioSlicerV2.4-XL10 on a Windows 10 system and using MS Excel Pro Plus 2010 with PowerPivot installed. I originally started testing with a new account and a handful of stocks/ETFs/transactions. When I go to the Holdings sheet and "Refresh" data, the worksheet appears to work for 20-30 seconds and stops with no errors. However, the Holdings sheet does not change. After reading the forums and discovering some errors I had with my srcSymbols and psConfig.txt information, I reran the worksheet and still no updates. I eventually ended up with the original PortfolioSlicerV2.4-XL10 file and the only change I made was to the Buy quantity of VT units in the srcTrans worksheet (from 5 to 6) and the Holdings sheet still does not update. My psConfig.txt file only contains those symbols in the original worksheet (^SP500TR, HXT.TO, VT, VEA, VWO, VOO). The quotes.csv file looks to be correct with only these symbols and the correct Min Date.
I'm sure this will end of being something trivial, but I have not figured it out yet. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Did you do all steps required to refresh Excel 2010 PowerPivot workbook, as described here - http://www.portfolioslicer.com/docs/excel2010-refresh-data.html

Specifically, did you go into PowerPivot window, refresh there, then went back into Excel window and refreshed again?
  • No, I did not. Thank you for pointing out my error. This is my first dive into PowerPivot so I am learning as I go. I am now one step closer to getting PS working, but now I've ran into another issue...PowerPivot is unable to connect to the 4 external files (CurrencyConv, Dates, Quotes, Dividends) due to the following:

================================
    The operation failed because the source database does not exist, the source table does not exist, or because you do not have access to the data source.

More Details:
    OLE DB or ODBC error: Unspecified error.
    A connection could not be made to the data source with the DataSourceID of 'b19ada5d-9b2d-449b-a8ae-0bc740f2a58b', Name of 'Dates'.
    An error occurred while processing table 'Dates'.
    The current operation was cancelled because another operation in the transaction failed.
    ==================================

I have verified the 4 files actually exist in the c:\PortfolioSlicer\PSData\ directory (along with schema.ini) and the files look good. I read in other forum posts to ensure the symbols in the config.txt file match exactly what is in the symbol table in excel and they appear to.

I've tried web searches on PowerPivot external data connection problems and have not come up with anything yet. Again, I'm sure this is a trivial setting somewhere that I don't have set up right?

Again, I'm am still just using the original downloaded PortfolioSlicerV2.4-XL10 file with no edits and have set up my config.txt file to match its symbols and date info.

• Hi,

Can you zip and send me all files from PSData folder .My email is posted on this page: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/contact.html
  • Files sent. Thank you.
  • Hi Aksi,

I just refreshed the workbook you send with your files and everything refreshed without problems.
    So file format is OK, but error indicates that the file cannot be accessed.

So lets try to figure out why. Lets first eliminated path misspelling.
    Can you click on Windows button, then enter CMD and click on "Command Prompt" app.
    In there you should enter:
    notepad c:\PortfolioSlicer\PSData\Dates.csv

After that - do you see notepad window open with Dates.csv file?

• Hi Vidas. Thank you again for your help. To update, I did verify the path as you suggested and it was good. I decided to reboot the computer, because why not...that usually fixes other problems and voila...PortfolioSlicer updated. That should have been the first thing I did when the problem presented itself. I was very happy until the memory errors popped up during the worksheet reports update (I'm running a 32-bit version of Excel). I'll dig around some more and try to thin out PS to lighten the memory load. Unfortunately Microsoft appears to have removed all the 64-bit downloads of my version of Office 2010. Thanks again!
  • Hi Vidas,

I am having the exact same issue as aski. However, after rebooting my computer, the data still won't refresh.
  • In my case, Excel 2010 stopped refreshing PowerPivot after latest security updates. I posted about this here:
    http://support.portfolioslicer.com/index.php?p=/discussion/477/do-not-apply-latest-excel-office-updates-in-you-are-still-using-excel-2010#latest

I was able to recover with this issue by:
    - Removing last 2 or 3 updates to excel (Windows Update->View Update History->Selecting last 2-3 updates one by one) and removing them.
    - Restarting PC
    - Going into Control Panel->Programs->Selecting Office/Excel and choosing "Fix install"
    - Restarting PC again
    -