Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Example Entry: Purchase and Tracking of a Fixed Income GIC

Hi Vidas,

This note refers to your "Online Demo" example (see pic).

If you ever find some "extra time", could you add example entries to the "scrTrans" worksheet for the purchase of a Fixed Income Asset such as an Annuity or a GIC from a bank.
For example: In a separate PS Account, Buy a GIC for $1,000 and one year later the GIC generates a Dividend of $200.
(I'm still using Excel 2010, and I think this entry type will also require the use of the a fixed price entry generated in the "GeneratedQuotes" section within the psConfig.txt script file).

Many thanks in advance.
Buddyb

(I cannot tell you how much your PortfolioSlicer project is helping me with my financial activities. Keep up with your sterling and valuable efforts).

Comments

• Hi BuddyB,

I'll look into adding same for Fixed income in next release. For now, here are steps:

1. In Symbol table add new symbol "VidasGIC20160101". You have flexibility what "symbol" means here. It could be generic GIC - if you choose static price of 1.00$, then you can track any GIC under the same symbol. If you want to track specific GIC investment, you can choose different name for each GIC purchase.
    2. In psConfig.txt table add parameter for this new symbol:

VidasGIC20160101,2016-01-01,,1.00

This will ensure that we have monthly quotes for this symbol. I choose price as 1.00$ and then will manage total amount with quantity field.

3. In the transaction table, add transaction for 2016-01-01 (buy date), transaction type Buy, Price 1.00, Qty 10000 (assuming you invested 10000$).
    4. When you cash GIC add transaction with type "Sell", Price 1.00 and Qty 10000.
    5. To capture interest received add another transation with type "DivTA", Qty 10000 and Price of total interest received (example: 50$)

These steps should do for GIC tracking.
  • Perfect! This is the discussion I was looking for. Thanks for your time and efforts.
  • As a follow-up on this thread, I added the line into Generated Quotes section on psconfig.txt, but when I run it, the script just stalls as shown in the screenshot.

• It appears that your issue is not with these generated quotes, but with Google quote as next script after Yahoo would be Google quotes. In the Scripts\Log folder could you please review file GetQuotes-Google.txt and GetQuotes-GoogleWeb.txt and see if there is any useful info there.
  • Yes, as I posted in the other thread that my issue is related to Google blocking me.
  • Hi qosmioamit,

It appears we are dealing with 2 separate issues.
    Issue 1 - you are blocked on Google. Please download latest scripts (there is an update today) and start using these updated scripts. There is one small fix included that reduces number of requests from google when symbol does not exists. If google blocks you, you have to figure out why. Check scripts\Log folder for google scripts - check URLs that are send. Reduce number of requests from google and most importantly, at first visit pages in your browser and if asked to confirm that you are not a robot, do so. You might have to do so few times, but please close broswers and visit same page until google stops asking you to prove that you are not a robot.
    Issue 2- just when issue 1 is resolved we can look at GeneratedQuotes issue, if that issue actually will be there at the time.
  • Hi qosmioamit, it appears that google is removing access to their quotes. So you will have to change quotes source from google to something else. Here is more info about quote sources: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/scripts/quotes-datasource.html
  • Hi Vidas,
    I am in a pickle with regards to the quotes from Google. I owned some Mutual Funds whose rates were exclusively available on Google.
    MUTF_CA:GGF70144
    MUTF_CA:GGF31727
    MUTF_CA:GGF31723
    MUTF_CA:GGF31144
    MUTF_CA:GGF70722
    MUTF_CA:RBF266

I can't find them on Stooq or Yahoo. I got the API from AlphaVantage, but I don't know the format of the mutual funds on AlphaVantage. Not sure how to proceed. I found them on Morningstar, but that's not one of the approved sources.

I don't have any errors related to the GIC. The issue was Google blocking the mutual funds quote search.
  • Hi, I checked AlphaVantage and it does not appear they have your listed mutual funds. I do not know where you could get quotes for them. At this point one option is to update them manually.
  • Re mutual fund quotes, I have been able to find some of mine on YCharts. I haven't got a pretty way to get them. Here is an example that has worked: https://ycharts.com/mutual_funds/M:BTG103.TO/price.
  • Vidas:

I've been wondering if a flag in the Symbol table named something like "Not Quoted" or "Not Traded" might work. The idea is that measures would use it to pick up the price from the Trans table instead of Quotes.

Greig
  • Thanks GreigH, but YCharts is not free.
    Vidas, What do you mean by updating them manually? I don't buy mutual funds anymore, so I only need them for the period between 2014 to 2016.

Are you saying there is a way, I can copy them from an older version (before Google blocked me) of some file and paste them somewhere?
  • Vidas,
    I think I figured out what you meant by adding them by manually. Here's what I did:
    1) I located a backup file of Quotes.csv from Mar 18 (when Google was still working) and copied the quotes from the mutual funds
    2) I pasted the quotes of the mutual funds into a *new* version of the Quotes.csv file from today and refreshed Excel and the data of the Mutual funds came in.

However, I observed that if I run the "UpdatePSData" batch file, it overwrites the Quotes.csv file. So do I have to do this manual add after everytime I run the batch file?
  • edited March 2018
    qosmioamit: You need to take 1 step backward in the sequence of events of data collection .... You should Create a folder called "Manual Quotes" inside your folder c:\Portfolioslicer\Quotes folder and manually make a "*.txt" file for each mutual fund you have. (There has been a discussion how to do this ... See if this helps ... http://support.portfolioslicer.com/discussion/comment/894/#Comment_894 )
  • qosmioamit - Portfolio Slicer keeps any quotes it gets locally. So if you once got quotes and you do not need up to date quotes, you do not need to extract more quotes for that symbol.
    buddyb is absolutely right - you can use either manual quotes, or just keep quotes that you already extracted to your PC.
    Please read more - how data is stored: http://www.portfolioslicer.com/scripts/quotes-data.html