Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Upgrading to V3.1.0

edited April 2023 in Migration
Wasn't sure if I should create a new topic or put in v3 Feedback so opted for new.

So I'm updating my files from V2.4, and when I run the UpdatePSDataFromExcel.bat, I was getting errors back which lead me to install the AccessDatabaseEngine_X64.exe. It appears that my 2016 office is only 32 bit, and it wouldn't allow me to install X64, so I installed AccessDatabaseEngine.exe.

When I run the UpdatePSDataFromExcel.bat script, it is a sea of red.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• I believe that the best way to recover from this - install 64bit office. WIth 32bit Excel you will not be able to properly refresh data as with 32bit Excel model size is severely limited.
    From this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/download-and-install-or-reinstall-microsoft-365-or-office-2021-on-a-pc-or-mac-4414eaaf-0478-48be-9c42-23adc4716658

To change from a 32-bit version to a 64-bit version or vice versa, you need to uninstall Microsoft 365 first (including any stand-alone Microsoft 365 apps you have such as Project of Visio). Once the uninstall is complete, sign in again to www.office.com and select Other install options, choose the language and version you want (64 or 32-bit), and then select Install. (See Install Visio or Install Project if you need to reinstall those stand-alone apps.)
  • Thanks Vidas. This isn't an option for me.

All the documentation indicates that for the new V3, you need 2016. Do any of the newer products such as Office 365 and Office Professional 2021 work with PortfolioSlicer V2 & V3?

Thank you
  • For v3 you need Excel 2016+, so Office 365 or Office 2021 will work.
  • Hi Vidas

So I removed Excel 2016 32-bit and installed Excel 2021 64-bit and am still getting a sea of red.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

• I have not seen this error before.
    Can you please follow suggestions from here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44061573/the-microsoft-office-access-database-engine-cannot-open-or-write-to-the-file
    Specifically, if your excel file is on the network, then copy it locally. If your Excel file is local, then:

Once the file is in a folder, go to the privileges of that folder and make sure the following users have full access of read and write: "network service" and "asp".

After granting these users access onto the folder and you still see the error, grant the user "Everyone" and test if this resolves the error.
  • Hi Vidas

One thing I want to confirm is that I can run both PS V2.4 and V3.1 on the same computer. V2.4 is still running without any issues.

Can both use the same external files located at: c:\PortfolioSlicer\PSData\ or will I need two - one for V2.4 and one for V3?

Thank you
  • Hello Again Vidas

I was able to determine the solution to the problem. I'm embarrassed to say that I made an error in the ExcelSourceFile location - I had it set to the scripts folder, rather than the source Excel workbook itself.

Thanks for your assistance - the new version is nice and all your efforts are appreciated.
  • Glad you made it work.
    You should be able to run v2.4 and v3.1 on the same computer, key files Quotes.csv and CurrencyConv.csv have the same structure. But v3.1 creates many more files that are used later during the refresh process. My suggestion would be:
    1. Before any version refresh you should run that version extract scripts.
    2. Close source Excel file before refreshing v3.1