Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non-Taxable Dividend income

I have a question. How do we record dividends that are not taxable to show them separately taxable vs non-taxable dividend income in this tool? I have holding of Muni which is exempt from Taxes.

Comments

• In Transactions table there is column "TransSubType" - you can add any value there that would later let you filter out/in transactions based on that value. So in your case you would have to populate for example TransSubType = NoTax. I use the same field for other transaction identification - for example for all buys out of dividends I use value DRIP.
    But in pre-built reports there are no filters setup for this TransSubType. But you can very easily add slicer or filter to any report/page that would filter based on that value.
  • Ok. Thanks. I am not sure how I can add the filters in the pre-built reports and I tried to modify and cant modify them.
  • I dont enter the dividend information as part of transactions. It gets added as part of the slicer. I feel that this type should be added at the security level and not at the transactional level. This is my two cents. Thx
  • To add a slicer to report (instructions for Excel 2010, but very similar in Excel 2013/2016):
    1. Select any cell inside report.
    2. Click on menu "Insert"->"Slicer"
    3. Select table Trans field TransSubType, click OK.
    4. Now you will have a slicer that will filter that report based on slicer selection.

If you want that the same slicer would impact other reports do following:
    1. Select "Slicer"
    2. In "Options" menu choose "PivotTable Connections"
    3. Check Pivot Tables/Charts that you want to be filtered by this slicer. Click OK.

But if you using automatically generated dividends, then you cannot use TansSubType field and at this point there is no direct workaround. But you can still do something - you can for example mark symbols that are exempt from taxes in Symbol table. For that you can use for example column "SymbolGroup1". Then you would add symbolGroup1 as slicer for your reports.

Portfolio Slicer is much more data model than reports you see. You can create unlimited number of your own reports and add your own filters.