Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ExchRate Blank

edited September 2016 in Excel Workbook
Hi Vidas, what could cause the Exchrate Impact (& therefore Exchrate Impact %) to be blank? I noticed it in the PowerBI dashboard and found it is blank in the Yearly spreadsheet. I tried selecting a different currency, refreshing, but no change. I know there is exch rate data because it shows up in other displays.

Also, if there is a way to prevent showing "Blank" in PowerBI when there's no value that would be welcome.

Thank you.

Comments

• Hi,

First please check Excel workbook src worksheet "Report Currency" table - please make sure that there is a record with CurrencyID = 1. Exch Rate Impact calculates impact of exchange rate for symbols in Currency ID = 2, 3, etc while converting to Exchange Rate of Currency ID = 1. Maybe all your symbols are in the same currency as CurrencyID = 1?

Usually in PowerBI you should not see rows if ALL values are blank. If you want to add filter for one measure value:
    1. Select that report. On the right side you will see Visualisations pane. At the bottom there will be "Filters" area.
    2. "Into Visual level filters" list drop measure that you want to filter by.
    3. Select condition "Is Blank" and click "Apply filter".

• Vidas, firstly yes, all the symbols are in the same currencyID=1. However, if in the PowerBI Overview page I change the currency selection to the second currency (or even to "Original", which happens also to be currencyID=1), the values in the dashboard change for Total Value, AnnualzdRoR, Profit (Top Row) and
    Capital Gain (second Row) , but
    ExchRateImpact (third Row) stays "blank". So, basically the change of currency selection implies one would see an ExchRateImpact but there isn't. So perhaps I'm not understanding how this selection and ExchRateImpact are related.

So, I reverted to the spreadsheet and even there I see some strange outcomes as I toggle between Original, currency1 and currency2 (Dashboard tab). Even though Original and currency1 are the same, the $ values change as I toggle through. Could it be a rounding issue? If you don't mind, I will send you the worksheet to examine.

Many thanks...
  • Hi,

Your all symbols are in currency USD. Your primary currency (CurrencyID = 1) is USD.
    Exchange Rate impact is calculated just for conversion into primary currency for symbols that have currency other than primary currency. That is why you see no currency exchange impact calculated.

You can change that by changing your Report currency table. Make your primary currency other currency by changing CurrencyID to 1 and set for USD CurrencyID value to 2. Then refresh data.

Lets say your primary currency is CAD.
    Some time ago you bought symbol MSFT that is in USD currency. Today in CAD currency symbol price gone up 2 %. Today in USD currency symbol price gone up 1.5%. That means that Exch Rate Impact is 0.5%
  • Many thanks Vidas...will try again.