Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dividend Reinvestment

I am trying to perform a dividend reinvestment option in Portfolio Slicer. I bought certain shares and I recorded the same. After that I added the dividend reinvestment shares purchases as "DRIP" with QTY and Rate. After refreshing the data, i get the dividends are duplicated. How do we record the dividend reinvestment in the tool?

Comments

• More info on how to track dividends with PS is here: http://portfolioslicer.com/docs/excel-howto-track-dividends.html:
    1. Regular Dividend. This is usually cash payments that you receive into your account. Portfolio Slicer uses transactions types “Div” and “DivTA” to record these dividends.
    2. DRIPs (Dividend Reinvestment Plan). For some symbols you could setup plan where FULL AMOUNT that is received as dividend will be used to purchase additional shares/units for the same symbol. Usually this is possible just for mutual funds because to use full amount received you should be able to buy partial shares. Portfolio Slicer uses transaction type “DRIP’ to record these dividends.

Note: You can technically setup DRIPs for any symbol. But if your DRIPs can buy just full shares, then in Portfolio Slicer you would record this using 2 transactions: 1st transaction will record regular dividend received and then 2nd transaction will record number of shares bought.

I am assuming you are not using generated dividends and entering transactions manually, right?

In such case you can:
    1. use DRIP to record dividend received and at the same time all amount spent to buy more shares. In such case make sure that Qty represents number of new share received.
    2. Enter 2 transactions - want to receive dividends and another to buy shares from amount received.
  • Okay - thanks. Let me go through this and absorb your instructions, follow them.