Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SymbolTransferIn Reported As Deposit

In my 401k, I am invested in Indexed Trusts which have a symbol assigned in the plan, but it is not a valid symbol on an exchange. So that I can track this I have a proxy symbol entered into the Portfolio Slicer (PS) spreadsheet. For instance, one index trust tracks the S&P 500 so I have VOO entered in PS as the proxy. This works pretty well and is usually only off by a few hundred bucks.

At the end of each quarter, I compare the PS value for VOO with the index trust value in the 401k statement. in PS, I create a SymbolTransferIn/Out transaction for the last day of the quarter so that the VOO value exactly matches the index trust value reported in the statement.

This works well, but I have an issue with respect to reporting. The SymbolTransferIn is counted as a deposit and since it is only used to reconcile, I'm not sure that I'm doing this correctly. Is there a better way to do this so that it is not counted as a deposit? Maybe another transaction type for a journal entry such as this?

Comments

• I cannot think of any elegant way to solve this issue in PS, as anything you will do will have an impact on some calculations value. For example, your Profit % will not be correct or your deposits will not be correct or dividends will not be correct.
  • Ok, not a problem. Thanks for thinking about this.