Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Proper Drip Transaction

I'm using the Dividend Script which works great and capture the CASH value of the dividend but when I record the actual DRIP transaction, I notice the dividend CASH value have been double counted.

Is the proper way to use BuyTA with the Dividend Script?

Comments

• Drip does not work with generated dividends (dividends.csv). You would have to enter BuyTA transactions manually.
  • Thanks for replying,

If I use the Dividend Script and then manually add a BuyTA, the math doesn't look right when Cash tracking is turn on.

The dividend that was used to purchase the additional share is added to the Cost Basis which increase the total value but at the same time it count the dividend received in Cash as captain gain and again adding the dividend column to the profit.

Here is the Holding tab and the only difference is turning on and off the Cash tracking option.

cash tracking turn off

cash tracking turn on

• When you receive Dividends, it does not matter if there is a drip transaction after or no, that amount is added as a dividend received amount. If after that you choose to do DRIP transaction (BuyTA), then it is just another buy transaction - that amount increases cost basis for your symbol. This is also how banks/investment companies are tracking DRIPS.
  • edited March 2021
    the Cost basis part, I understand but the $204 dividend being counted again as $204 capital gain in Cash doesn't make sense to me. It seems like double counting since the Dividend for BMO already accounted for in the Profit calculation but when tracking Cash, the $204 is being counted again as Capital gain and therefore another $204 got added to the Profits column.

It would have made more sense to me that in the Cash row, there was no $204 capital gain and $99 in cash was left over after Dripping 1 Share.

I turn off Cash tracking until I understand this better.
  • Can you please post screenshot of transactions for this symbol and records in dividends.csv file - I will try to reproduce this.
  • Thanks,

Here is the screenshots,

I think the LN error I'm also getting is related to the BuyTA entry where there is no entry for the dividend deposit? Do we also have to manually add the deposit as well?
  • IF you are getting LN error, please check if your cash balance in the account is positive at the end of the day. If cash balance is negative, PS cannot properly calculate Profit %.
    When you are using "generated dividens" functionality, then you do not have to enter dividend deposit transactions. But that "generated dividends" functionality is now removed from v3.0 (beta), but I will see if I can add it by creating dividend transactions externally (I am still not sure).
    If it is possible, I would recommend that you do not use "generated Dividends" and enter all dividends transactions manually. This type of setup will have less problems.
    I will look into your posted transactions and will try to reproduce this problem, but it will take me a few days.
    Could you please confirm that you are using v2.4 version of Portfolio Slicer.
  • I'm using V2.4,

Thanks.