Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combining/merging of two accounts

Hello there :)

Is there a simple way to merge accounts?

I am in the process of moving over my RRSP (CDN & US) and Non-Registered (CDN & US) brokerage accounts to another brokerage where I have existing accounts (which also have shares). Once the transfers are complete, all funds and stocks will merged into the accounts at the new brokerage.

I have all the accounts contained in my spreadsheet.

What would be the best way to handle this change from a Portfolio Slicer perspective? Would doing a find-and-replace be the way to go? For example, search for account RRSP-CDN1 and change all those transactions to reflect account RRSP-CDN2 (the new location)?

Thank you

Comments

• Hello,

1. Find-and-replace option in Transactions worksheet would be easiest way to go.
    2. Another option would be to pick a transfer date, get end of the day prices for each symbol, and then do SymbolTransferOut in RRSP-CDN1 and then SymbolTransferIn in RRSP-CDN2 using price (and calculated values) for the day of the transfer. With this approach, I would specify CostBasisOverride for each SymbolTransferIn transaction to make sure that you are keeping the original cost basis.

I personally would go with Find-and-replace as it is easier.
  • Thanks Vidas.

Sounds like the find-and-replace will be the way I will handle it.

Have a great day!